The information provided below corresponds to the official product information from Patient Information Leaflet provided by the manufacturer.
The text does not contain any of medical advices, mode of administration and prescription plans.
Before beginning any treatment, we kindly advise you to consult your healthcare provider.
Levoxyl is a synthetic analogue of thyroid hormone (thyroxine). Pharmacological effect of Levoxil is aimed to replace the deficiency of thyroid hormones. Mechanisms of metabolic effects include receptor binding to the genome, changes in oxidative metabolism in mitochondria and regulation the flow of substrates and actions inside and outside cells. In small doses, Levoxyl has an anabolic effects, in the recommended stimulates development of cells and tissues, increases the demand of tissues in oxygen, regulates the metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, increases the functional activity of the cardiovascular system and central nervous system. In high doses Levoxyl possesses the ability to inhibit the production of thyrotropin-releasing hormone, hypothalamus and pituitary thyrotropin.
After oral administration almost 80% of the dose is absorbed into the blood circulation from the upper small intestine. Food intake reduces the absorption. Cmax in serum is reached approximately in 5-6 h after administration. More than 99% of the medication binds to plasma proteins. In kidney and liver it is converted into triiodothyronine (T3) hormone. Thyroid hormones are metabolized primarily in liver, kidney, brain and muscles. A small number of exposed to deamination and decarboxylation and conjugation with sulfuric and glucuronic acid (in liver). Metabolites are excreted with the urine and bile. T1/2 is 6-7 days. In patients with thyrotoxicosis T1/2 is shortened to 3-4 days in hypothyroidism is extended to 9-10 days.
Clinical effect of hypothyroidism is manifested in 3-5 days. Early diffuse hyperplastic goiter is decreased or disappears within 3-6 months.
Levoxyl tablets are used to treat hypothyroid conditions of various etiology (including those caused surgical or drug treatment)
- Prevention of recurrence of nodular goiter after thyroid gland resection
- Diffuse euthyroid goiter,
- Diffuse toxic goiter - after a euthyroid state thyreostatics (in combination with other medicines or as monotherapy),
- Thyroid cancer after surgical treatment (to suppress tumor recurrence and as replacement therapy
- Diagnostic tool during the test thyroid suppression.
- In the complex therapy of Graves' disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
Which is Levoxyl dose?
The dose of the medication depends on the particular condition treated. The medication comes in the form of tablets containing Levoxyl 25mcg, Levoxyl 50mcg and Levoxyl 100mcg. It is usually taken once a day in the morning on an empty stomach.
Levoxyl contraindications include:
- Acute pancarditis
- Acute myocarditits
- Known cases of hypersensitivity to levothyroxine sodium or other non-active components of the medication
- Hypopituitarism (pituitary insufficiency)
- Untreated insufficiency of adrenal cortex
- Acute heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Acute pancarditis
Levoxyl should be used with caution in:
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Stenocardia (angina pectoris)
- History of heart attack
- High blood pressure
- Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Diabetes melitus
- Resistant or long-term hypothyroidism
Which Levoxyl side effects are possible during the treatment?
- In most cases Levoxyl does not cause any side effects because its main ingredient Levothyroxine sodium is analogue of natural thyroid hormone - Thyroxine (T4). High doses of Levoxyl (100mcg) or Levoxyl 200mcg may cause the following side effect associated with hyperthyroidism: ·High blood pressure
- Mood changes
- Hair loss (alopecia)
- Hot flashes
- Painful menstrual bleedings and other menstrual cycle problems
- Seizures (convulsions)
- Increased sweating
How Levoxyl may interact with other medicines?
Make sure to inform your doctor if you take any of the following medicines:
- Depression drugs
- Calcium containing medications and supplements
- Cholesterol drugs
- Diabetes medications
- Digoxin (cardiac glycoside)
- Iron containing medications and supplements
- Weight loss pill - Xenical (orlistat)
- Stomach drug - Sucralfate
- Xantine (theophylline)
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners)
How Levoxyl should be stored?
Store the medication out of reach of children at room temperature.
This info corresponds to official PIL provided by legal manufacturer and reviewed by: Dr. Rohit Bansali N.