The information provided below corresponds to the official product information from Patient Information Leaflet provided by the manufacturer.
The text does not contain any of medical advices, mode of administration and prescription plans.
Before beginning any treatment, we kindly advise you to consult your healthcare provider.
Pantoprazole sodium 40 mg. Pantoprazole 40 mg. Pantoprazole sodium<
What is Pantoprazole?
Pantoprazole sodium is a generic name, the name of the active ingredient of brand Protonix. Pantoprazole is equivalent in respect to indications, therapeutic action, side effects to Protonix. Pantoprazole belongs to group "stomach" medications called proton pump inhibitors. By acting on H+/K+ - ATP-ase, pantoprazole sodium 40mg blocks the final stage of hydrochloric acid secretion, reducing basal and stimulated secretion, regardless of the nature of the stimulus. After oral administration, antisecretory effect reaches within 1 hours within 24 hours. In patients with stomach and duodenal ulcers associated with Helicobacter pylori, the decrease of stomach secretion leads to increase of sensitivity of microorganisms to antibiotics.
In comparison with other proton pump inhibitors, pantoprazole sodium 40mg has high chemical stability at neutral pH, and less potential interaction with oxidase system of liver-dependent cytochrome P450. Therefore Pantoprazole does not interact with many drugs metabolized by the liver.
Which is Pantoprazole sodium 40mg pharmacokinetics?
After oral administration, the medication is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract into the blood circulation. The distribution volume is 0.15 L/kg, clearance - 0,1l/h/kg
Pantoprazole binds to plasma proteins by 98%. It is metabolized in the liver and is excreted with urine by kidneys. A small amount of medication is eliminated with feces. The half-life period is 1.5 hour.
What is Pantoprazole sodium used for?
- Peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer (acute phase), erosive gastritis (including those associated with taking non-hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs);
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): erosive reflux esophagitis (treatment), symptomatic treatment of GERD
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome;
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori in combination with antibacterial agents.
- Treatment and prevention of stress ulcers and their complications (bleeding, perforation, penetration)
How Pantoprazole 40mg sodium is taken?
Pantoprazole is a prescription medication which is used under your health care provider's supervision. Pantoprazole sodium comes in the form of tablets 20mg and 40mg. Pantoprazole sodium tablets are taken orally swallowing whole with a glass of water usually 30 minutes before meal. Do not chew, crash or split the tablets.
Which Pantoprazole sodium side effects are possible during the treatment?
Pantoprazole is well tolerated medicines with a low frequency of side effects. Possible pantoprazole side effects may include:
- Common: pain in the upper abdomen, diarrhea, constipation, flatulence, headache.
- Not typical: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, visual disturbances (blurred vision), allergic reactions such as itching and skin rashes
- Rare: dry mouth, arthralgia, depression, hallucinations, disorientation and confusion
- Very rare: leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, peripheral edema, severe hepatocellular damage leading to jaundice with or without hepatic failure, anaphylactic reactions, including anaphylactic shock, increase of liver enzymes (transaminases, glutamil transpeptidase) increase triglycerides, increased body temperature, myalgia, interstitial nephritis, urticaria, angioedema, severe skin reactions such as Stevens Johnson syndrome, polymorphic erythema, photosensitivity.
Which is pantoprazole drug interaction?
Pantoprazole (generic Protonix) can interact with the following medicines: protease inhibitors (atazanavir), blood thinners (clopidogrel and warfarin), iron containing drugs and supplements, ampicillin esters, ketoconazole (antifungal agent).
How should I store the medication?
Generic Protonix should be stored at protected from light place out of reach of children at temperature not exceeding 25C. Do not use the medication after expiration date.
This info corresponds to official PIL provided by legal manufacturer and reviewed by: Dr. Rohit Bansali N.