The information provided below corresponds to the official product information from Patient Information Leaflet provided by the manufacturer.
The text does not contain any of medical advices, mode of administration and prescription plans.
Before beginning any treatment, we kindly advise you to consult your healthcare provider.
Generic Lipitor. Buy generic Lipitor. Atorbest
What is generic Lipitor?
Generic Lipitor is a prescription drug available under the name Atorbest made by Indian company Cadila. Atorbest contains the same active ingredient as brand drug Atorvastatin. However, commercial name, form and shape of tablets, the amount of excipients may differ.
Atorvastatin is hypocholesterolemic and lipid-lowering drugs, a selective competitive inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase. It decreases atherogenic factors in the blood namely total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL), apolipoprotein B and triglycerides. Atorbest helps to increase the level of "protective" factors - high-density lipoprotein (HDL) and apolipoprotein A. It is used in combination with diet in patients with hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, hypertriglyceridemia, disbetalipoproteinemiey (type IIa, IIb, III and IV of Fredrickson). Atorvastatin is indicated for patients with coronary heart disease (CHD), and predisposition to coronary heart disease, high risk of CHD (with or without hyperlipidemia), stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases, peripheral vascular disease, including diabetes.
How does generic Lipitor work?
Lipitor generic is hypocholesterolemic and lipid-lowering drug, selective competitive inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase - a key enzyme that converts 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coa into mevalonic acid, which is derivate of cholesterol. Triglycerides and cholesterol are a part of very low density lipoprotein (VLDL), enter the plasma and transported to peripheral tissues. Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) are formed from VLDL and are catabolized through interaction with LDL receptors.
Atorvastatin reduces levels of cholesterol and lipoproteins in the plasma due to the oppression HMG-CoA reductase in the liver and increase hepatic LDL receptors on the cell surface, which leads to increased capture and catabolism of low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-cholesterol).
Atorvastatin reduces the formation of CS-LDL and LDL particle number. It causes expressed and persistent increase in the activity of LDL receptors, and has a beneficial effect on the quality of circulating LDL.
Atorvastatin effectively lowers LDL-cholesterol in patients with homozygous hypercholesterolemia, which usually cannot be treated with other lipid-lowering drugs.
Atorvastatin at a dose of 10-80 mg reduces total cholesterol (by 30-46%), LDL-cholesterol (by 41-61%), apolipoprotein B (by 34-50%) and triglycerides (by 14-33%) and causes an increasing of high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-cholesterol) and apolipoprotein A. The effect of generic Lipitor is dose-dependent.
Which are generic Lipitor pharmacokinetic characteristics?
Lipitor is rapidly absorbed after oral administration, its concentration in plasma reaches a peak within 1-2 h. The absolute bioavailability of atorvastatin is approximately 12% and the systemic availability of inhibitory activity against HMG-CoA reductase - 30% Food decreases the rate and extent of absorption approximately by 25% and 9% respectively. The average volume of distribution of atorvastatin is approximately 381 - 565 liters. Lipitor generic binds to plasma proteins by 98%. Atorbest is metabolized in the liver under the action of cytochrome P450 ZA4. It is eliminated with bile after hepatic or extrahepatic biotransformation.
When generic Lipitor is prescribed?
Lipitor generic (Atorbest) is used in combination with diet to reduce cholesterol blood levels, LDL-cholesterol (low density lipoprotein cholesterol), apolipoprotein B, triglycerides, and increase HDL-cholesterol (HDL cholesterol), in cases where diet and other non-drug therapies do not provide the desired effect. Atorbest is indicated in the following conditions:
- Hypercholesterolemia (primary, homozygous, heterozygous, family, non-family / type IIa by Fredrickson);
- Combined (mixed) hyperlipidemia (Fredrickson Type IIb on);
- Disbetalipoproteinemiya (type III according to Fredrickson);
- Hypertriglyceridemia (type IV according to Fredrickson)
- Atorvastatin is used in patients with coronary heart disease (CHD), predisposition to coronary heart disease, high risk of CHD (with or without hyperlipidemia), stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases, peripheral vascular disease, including diabetes:
- To reduce the risk of total mortality by reducing mortality due to CHD
- To reduce the risk of serious cardiovascular and coronary complications (myocardial infarction, coronary death, stroke, revascularization);
- To reduce the risk of having to conduct operations to restore coronary blood flow (aortic-coronary bypass surgery, percutaneous coronary angioplasty);
- To reduce the risk of having surgical intervention to restore the peripheral blood flow and other non-coronal revascularization;
- To reduce the risk of hospitalization induced by angina.
How the Lipitor generic is taken?
The medication is taken orally (by mouth) with or without food. The medication should be used along with diet and physical exercises. The dose of the medication depends on treating condition, patients' age and gender, concomitant diseases and treatment. After several weeks of treatment you health care provide will check your cholesterol dose and decided where higher or lower dose of Atorbest is required. Do not take the medication without your doctor's approval.
When generic Lipitor is contraindicated?
Lipitor generic is contraindicated for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity or individual intolerance of atorvastatin or other components of the preparations
- Hepatic failure or liver cirrhosis
- Renal failure and other diseases of the kidneys
- Low cholesterol blood vessels
Atorvastatin is pregnancy category X meaning that it is not safe to use during pregnancy because of high risk of fetus damage
Make sure to inform your doctor if:
- You have an allergy to other statin preparations
- Smoking too much
- Drinking alcohol frequently
Do not drink grape fruit juice while the treatment with Atorbest. In rare cases Atorbest may cause rhabdomyolysis. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop muscle pain, weakness, or tenderness.
Which are generic Lipitor side effects?
Atorvastatin is generally well tolerated. Adverse reactions usually are not expressed and transient. Atorbest may cause the following side effects:
- Dyspepsia, abdominal pain, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, constipation, flatulence, diarrhea, pancreatitis, hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice;
- Headache, insomnia, asthenia, peripheral neuropathy;
- Myalgia, muscle cramps, myositis, myopathy, paresthesia;
- Alopecia, pruritus, rash, angioedema;
- Hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.
- Allergic reaction (including anaphylactic reactions and urticaria);
- Bullous rash (erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Lyell's syndrome / toxic epidermal necrolysis);
How the medication can interact with other medicines?
Generic Lipitor may interact with a wide variety of medicines. Possible drug interactions include:
- Antibiotics (erythromycin, clarithromycin, rifampin, telithromycin)
- Oral contraceptives. Atorbest make hormonal birth control pills less effective
- Antimycotic agents (Fluconazole, clotrimazole, itraconazole, miconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole)
- Immunosuppressors (cyclosporine)
- Cardiac glycosides (digoxin)
- Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem)
- HIV drug (Efavierenz)
- Other cholesterol medications (fibrates)
- Niacin containing drugs
- Statin medications
- Protease inhibitors
- Red yeast rice
How the medication should be stored?
Store the medication at dry and protected from light place out of reach of children. Do not store the medication in the bathroom
This info corresponds to official PIL provided by legal manufacturer and reviewed by: Dr. Rohit Bansali N.